Geary County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program. Geary County has regulations for properties that are in the flood areas of the County. The County regulations cover all property outside the city limits of Junction City, Grandview Plaza, and Milford City.
Information concerning floodplains in those cities can be obtained by contacting the respective city offices. Floodplain maps were recently updated and are now available in digital form. That allows a concise determination on the floodplain areas.
Community Rating System (C.R.S.)
For those who have to carry flood insurance in Geary County because their property is in a flood area, county officials have worked over the past year on the Community Rating System. Because of the work of the Geographic Information System (G.I.S.), Planning and Zoning Office and Emergency Management, flood plain insurance in Geary County has been reduced. Please contact your insurance provider to make sure they are aware of the reduction.
Written information about flooding, flood insurance, and the C.R.S. program can be obtained at any of the following locations:
- Geary County Emergency Management Office, 236 E 8th Street
- Phone: 785-238-1290
- Geary County G.I.S. Office, 200 E 8th Street
- Phone: 785-530-5399
- Geary County Research and Extension Office, 119 E 9th Street
- Geary County 4-H and Senior Citizens Center, 1025 S Spring Valley Road
- Junction City Public Library, 230 W 7th Street
The following brochures are available at all five locations:
- Answers to Questions about the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), 084
- Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting (6 ways to protect your house from flooding), L-235
- Why You Need Flood Insurance, F-683
- Cheaper Flood Insurance (5 ways to lower the cost of your flood insurance), D-671
- Taking Shelter from the Storm (building a safe room for your home or small business), L-233
The Junction City Public Library also has additional books available for review on flooding and flood plains.