Buying & Selling Vehicles


July 29th, 2021

Notice to all vehicle owners:  

Starting August 16th, for the State of Kansas to be in compliance with federal regulations, the treasurer’s office will no longer be able to title a vehicle without a title.  This pertains to those with OUT OF STATE plates on their vehicle or those who may have bought a vehicle with an OUT OF STATE TITLE. In the past, we have issued a temporary courtesy registration for those without a title, we can no longer do that.  NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System), was established under the Anti Car Theft Act of 1992 and was reauthorized under the Anti Car Theft Improvements Act of 1996. It is a tool designed to assist state vehicle title agencies, vehicle title investigators, and law enforcement in deterring and preventing vehicle related crimes.   It is intended to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles.   

 If you are planning to buy or currently are not in possession of your (out of state title) due to financing it, you need to contact your lienholder and have them send the title to the motor vehicle department in which you are intending to title your vehicle. The Geary County Treasurer’s Office is located at 200 E 8th St in Junction City, the address to have title mailed is: Geary County Treasurer’s Office (Motor Vehicle Department) 200 E 8th St Junction City KS  66441  

View more information about registering your vehicle in Kansas.


The Treasurer’s office will be using the following COVID-19 Protocol.

  1. Transferring Ownership
  2. Transferring a License Plate
  3. Refunding a License Plate

When a vehicle’s ownership is transferred from one person to another, the back of the old title form must be completed and properly assigned before licensing can take place. In addition, other documentation may be required:

  • New Kansas titles conform to federal odometer requirements and contain space to list the odometer reading and purchase price. If the title is non-conforming, a Bill of Sale and/or an Odometer Disclosure Statement (TR-59) will be required.
  • If a lien is shown on the front of the title, a properly signed/notarized release of lien is required. 
  • If the vehicle has been registered jointly and on the front of the title the registered owners have "AND" or nothing at all in between their names, all persons listed as owner must sign the title. If it is not possible to have all the owners present to sign, you must provide a Power of Attorney from the other owner(s) listed. The owners must sign the back of the title as the seller(s).
  • If the vehicle is being sold because the owner died, you will need a completed Decedents Affidavit (TR-83a),  Claim of Heir Affidavit (TR-83b), or a Probated Will. If there is more than one heir, each heir will need to sign an Affidavit to a Fact (TR-12), signing they are "disclaiming vehicle ownership" if they do not wish to register the vehicle in their name. The heir selling the vehicle will have to have the vehicle titled in his/her name prior to selling the vehicle to a third party. A death certificate or copy of the obituary article must be presented as well.
    • Please note, the Decedent’s Affidavit (TR-83a) is used when there is a will which has not yet been probated. The Claim of Heir Affidavit (TR-83b) is used when there is no will or the will is not going to be probated AND the estate’s total value is $40,000 or less.
    • Once a will has been probated, neither the decedent’s affidavit nor the claim of heir affidavit can be used; the will is the legal document which must be followed for distribution of vehicle belonging to the deceased.
  • If vehicle ownership is being transferred due to a divorce, you will need divorce papers showing that you were granted custody of the vehicle before you can change the given title. A Lienholder’s Consent to Transfer Ownership (TR-128) may also be required.
  •  If the vehicle ownership is being transferred due to marriage, you will need your marriage license and a driver’s license with your new name. A Lienholder’s Consent to Transfer Ownership (TR-128) may also be required.
  • If the vehicle is being given as a gift, an Affidavit to a Fact must be signed by the previous owner, or sales tax will be collected at the time of registration. The affidavit should state that the vehicle was given as a gift and not sold.
  • If the ownership is being transferred between immediate, lineal, family members, sales tax is not required and you are liable only for the registration fee and property taxes due on the vehicle. An Affidavit of Relationship (TR-215) must be used. See below for list of lineal family members.

You are mailed a new title by the state after you register the vehicle in your name if there is no lien on the vehicle. 

If a lien is reflected on the title application, the state will hold the title as an e-title until the lien has been satisfied.

Additional documents may be required by State law, if other selling circumstances exist.

Lineal Family Members

Lineal ascendants or descendants are: 

  • An adopted child
  • Daughter
  • Father
  • Grandchild
  • Grandfather
  • Grandmother
  • Mother
  • Son
  • Stepchild
  • The spouses of any of these  

Who Do Not Qualify as Lineal Family Members

The following do not qualify for this exemption:

  • Aunt
  • Brother
  • Niece
  • Sister
  • Uncle

Buying a Vehicle with an Electronic Title

After the buyer has satisfied the asking price, both parties will fill out the Electronic Sales Agreement (TR-39a). This form will allow the buyer to purchase a 60 day tag for $8.00. The seller’s registered plate must be taken off an replaced with this 60 day tag.

The seller must attach a copy of the vehicle’s current registration showing their name as owner and the lien holder’s name to the electronic sales agreement.

If the vehicle is 10 years old or more, the buyer can also have the Power of Attorney Purchase and Odometer Disclosure for Electronic Title (TR-40) filled out at the same time. This allows the paper title to be mailed directly to the buyer who can use the power of attorney to assign the title themselves.

If possible, the buyer should bring the notarized lien release with them when they apply for the 60 day permit, so it may be processed by the office. This ensures the buyer the paper title will be sent to them within the 60 day period.

The seller agrees by his signature on the electronic sales agreement to deliver the properly assigned Kansas Certificate of Title (Paper Title) within the 60 day period.

Click the Logo To Renew Your Tags Online!

iKan Logo
  1. Sherri Childs

    Office Manager
    Phone: 785-238-6021

  2. Emily Powers

    Senior Accounting Clerk
    Phone: 785-238-8109

  3. Brittany Amerine

    Customer Service Specialist II
    Phone: 785-238-8109