Starting August 16th, for the State of Kansas to be in compliance with federal regulations, the treasurer’s office will no longer be able to register a vehicle without a title. In the past, we have issued a temporary courtesy registration for those without a title, we can no longer do that. NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System), was established under the Anti Car Theft Act of 1992 and was reauthorized under the Anti Car Theft Improvements Act of 1996. It is a tool designed to assist state vehicle title agencies, vehicle title investigators, and law enforcement in deterring and preventing vehicle related crimes. It is intended to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles.
If you currently are not in possession of your title due to financing it, you need to contact your lienholder and have them send the original title to the motor vehicle department in which you are intending to register your vehicle. The Geary County Treasurer’s Office is located at 200 E 8th St in Junction City, the address to have the title mailed is: Geary County Treasurer’s Office (Motor Vehicle Department) 200 E 8th St Junction City KS 66441.
View more information about registering your vehicle in Kansas.
On January 1, 2000, a new insurance verification law went into effect in Kansas. Persons registering for a new or renewing an auto tag must provide acceptable "physical" proof of liability insurance for the vehicle being registered.
Acceptable Proof of Insurance
Acceptable "physical" proof of insurance includes the following:
- An insurance card issued by an insurance company
- A policy of insurance with expiration date.
- A binder of insurance (valid for 30 days)
- A motor carrier identification number issued by the State Corporation Commission;
- A certificate of self-insurance issued by an insurance commissioner
- A fleet insurance card
- For vehicles used in a driver's education program, a dealership contract and a copy of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy issued to a school district or accredited non-public school.
If renewing by mail, proof of insurance can be demonstrated by providing a photocopy of any of the items listed. The vehicle owner must certify that the applicant has and will maintain during the entire registration period, the required insurance or other financial security required by Kansas law.