Insurance Verification

On January 1, 2000, a new insurance verification law went into effect in Kansas. Persons registering for a new or renewing an auto tag must provide acceptable "physical" proof of liability insurance for the vehicle being registered. 

Acceptable Proof of Insurance

Acceptable "physical" proof of insurance includes the following:

  • An insurance card issued by an insurance company
  • A policy of insurance with expiration date.
  • A binder of insurance (valid for 30 days)
  • A motor carrier identification number issued by the State Corporation Commission;
  • A certificate of self-insurance issued by an insurance commissioner
  • A fleet insurance card
  • For vehicles used in a driver's education program, a dealership contract and a copy of a motor vehicle liability insurance policy issued to a school district or accredited non-public school.

If renewing by mail, proof of insurance can be demonstrated by providing a photocopy of any of the items listed. The vehicle owner must certify that the applicant has and will maintain during the entire registration period, the required insurance or other financial security required by Kansas law.

Click the Logo To Renew Your Tags Online!

iKan Logo
  1. County Treasurer

    Physical Address
    Motor Vehicle Department
    200 E 8th Street
    Junction City, KS 66441


    Phone: 785-238-8109

    Monday through Friday
    8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  2. Sherri Childs

    Motor Vehicle Supervisor

  3. Terri Dixon

    Administrative Assistant III

  4. Kathy Tremont