Military Personnel


July 29th, 2021

Notice to all vehicle owners:  

Starting August 16th, for the State of Kansas to be in compliance with federal regulations, the treasurer’s office will no longer be able to title a vehicle without a title.  This pertains to those with OUT OF STATE plates on their vehicle or those who may have bought a vehicle with an OUT OF STATE TITLE. In the past, we have issued a temporary courtesy registration for those without a title, we can no longer do that.  NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System), was established under the Anti Car Theft Act of 1992 and was reauthorized under the Anti Car Theft Improvements Act of 1996. It is a tool designed to assist state vehicle title agencies, vehicle title investigators, and law enforcement in deterring and preventing vehicle related crimes.   It is intended to protect consumers from fraud and unsafe vehicles.   

 If you are planning to buy or currently are not in possession of your (out of state title) due to financing it, you need to contact your lienholder and have them send the title to the motor vehicle department in which you are intending to title your vehicle. The Geary County Treasurer’s Office is located at 200 E 8th St in Junction City, the address to have title mailed is: Geary County Treasurer’s Office (Motor Vehicle Department) 200 E 8th St Junction City KS  66441  

View more information about registering your vehicle in Kansas.


The Treasurer’s office will be using the following COVID-19 Protocol.

Please call our office with questions as this does not cover all situations when registering your vehicle, the office number is 785-238-8109.

  1. Guidelines
  2. Items Needed for Registration
  3. Renewing Registration
  4. Registration Fees
  • Military personnel has the option of registering in the county they reside in or in their home state of record.
  • The military exemption only applies to personal property taxes and not sales tax on vehicles.
  • Vehicles coming into Kansas must have been registered in the previous location for at least 6 months or it will be subject to sales tax, if not paid in the previous location.
  • For the exemption to apply, the person in the military or spouse must be on the title as an owner.
  • Leased vehicles are not eligible for property tax exemption.