Traffic Division

The Traffic Division files cases sent to our office for prosecution by the Geary County Sheriff’s Department and the Kansas Highway Patrol. If you receive a ticket and wish to pay it all that is required of you is to follow the instructions on the back of the ticket.

Speeding & Traffic Tickets

Our office currently has a speeding diversion program. To determine if you are eligible for a speeding diversion you must meet the following criteria:

  • You have not been convicted of a moving violation in this or any other state or municipality, or have not previously participated in a diversion program for a moving violation in the last two years.
  • You have not been convicted of a traffic misdemeanor (Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving While Suspended, Transporting an Open Container, etc).
  • You have a valid driver's license. Those with a CDL are not eligible for diversion.
  • You have current liability insurance.
  • The citation was for less than 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit.
  • No criminal or misdemeanor traffic offenses were involved in the incident.
  • Construction zone tickets are included, but the fine is doubled.

Apply for the Speeding Diversion Program

The cost of the diversion is $100 plus the amount of the ticket. If you wish to apply for a speeding diversion you must contact the Clerk of the District Court at 785-762-5221, ext. 1438 and tell them that you wish to apply for a diversion. The Clerk’s Office will then send us a copy of your ticket. We will order your driving record to determine if you are eligible for this program. 

If you do qualify, you will receive a copy of the diversion program in the mail. If you have not heard from this office one week prior to your next court date you will need to call Kathy Swartzentruber at 785-238-1252 or call her at 785-762-4343. 

If you have received the paperwork from this office you must send a money order only and the signed waiver prior to your next court date. Failure to comply may result in your driver's license being suspended. Selected traffic offenses may receive consideration for diversion, subject to the same requests set forth above.

Driving Under the Influence Diversion

Our office currently has a DUI diversion program. If this is your first ever offense you may be eligible to apply. You must have complied with all of the requests of the law enforcement officer at the time of the incident. When you appear in Court for your first appearance you may request from the State an opportunity to apply for a diversion.


  • An application must be filled out and returned to our office to determine if you are eligible for a diversion.
  • Obtain a drug and alcohol evaluation at your own cost and provide proof
  • Enroll in Alcohol and Drug Information School (ADIS) at your own cost and provide proof of completion
  • You must perform 25 hours of community service.
  • If you were charged with other traffic offenses, proof of payment of these fines must also be provided.
  • Provide the completed diversion packet with the payment of the diversion cost of $660. These monies must be paid by money order or cash.

Any questions need to be directed to Kathy Swartzentruber by calling her at 786-238-1252 or calling 785-762-4343